Monday, September 7, 2009

Grind Match

Saturday I spent way too much time thinking about if I was prepared for Augusta. I tried to think in wrestling what I would do if I was worried about an opponent. The answer being that I would train in a way that insured me that I was mentally tougher than him. The physical and skill aspects can be overcome with a tough mind. In wrestling, every once in a while, we do a thing called a grind match. In a grind match you find someone of similar skill level and wrestle untill someone reaches a breaking point. Yesterday, I did a "grind match" with the water, bike, and pavement. I didn't break.
I tackled my opponent. I swam a 2000m open water swim in the Gulf of Mexico. I followed it up with a 56 mile bike ride around Anna Maria Island, across Longboat Key, into Sarasota and then back. It ended with a slightly longer than 13 mile run.
I broke no records by completing it in 6:39:00, but won the mental battle with myself. I'm not sure if this is smart training, but the grind match is over. I'm mentally prepared and I broke the water and pavement, not myself!

1 comment:

  1. whoa, way to go! now you KNOW you can do it -and that's a whole heck of a lot better than wondering IF you can do it. you're no longer the "Boy Wonder"....

    ReplyDelete